CIRCLE OF PROMISE
The Komen Inland Empire Affiliate, together with five other Affiliates in California, is working to address breast cancer disparities at both the system and individual levels. Out state-wide initiative will enable Komen to coordinate and deliver partnerships and resources that assist African American women most in need.
The initiative will provide:
- Community Organization: Building partnerships and leveraging strategic relationships to address barriers by pooling resources, sharing best practices, reducing redundancies in services, and uniting partners around the project’s goals and objectives.
- Direct Education: Komen-supported community educators will provide direct outreach and aid women in scheduling a mammogram appointment. These educators will also provide continuous follow-up to support women through the process and increase the rate of completed mammograms.
- Screening and Advocacy Services: Komen’s community organizing practices will help to identify available services, ensure that services meet the standard 60 day quality care benchmarks and provide supplementary grants to fill any gaps in screening. Additionally, each Affiliate will utilize a grant-funded community resource advocate to coordinate local community resources to aid women in accessing breast health services.
If you would like to contact us regarding upcoming Circle of Promise events, screenings, or other breast health resources, please call 951-676-7465 .
Join the Circle Today @ www.californiacircleofpromise.org
Join us for Circle of Promise Day- August 1st
Today, black women in the U.S. are about 40% more likely to die from breast cancer than white women. We can change that fact. Take action—get educated and empower yourself to know your girls.
Know Your Girls is a national public service communications effort to educate and inspire black women to understand their risk for breast cancer and to take charge of their breast health by engaging with information and tools that can ultimately promote early detection – and, when combined with effective treatment, save lives.
Take Charge of Your Breast Health
No one can control whether or not they get breast cancer–but there’s a lot we can control to keep ourselves, and our breasts, as healthy as possible. Here are five ways to get on top of your breast health and live your healthiest life.
- Know Your Risk of Breast Cancer: The truth is that everyone is at risk of breast cancer–but some of us are at a higher risk than others. Understanding our risk helps us take better care of our breast health. The best way to do this is to talk to our doctors about our family health history and other personal risk factors. This Know Your Risk tool can help you prepare for the conversation.
- Know What’s Normal for Your Breast: The signs of breast cancer are not the same for all women. Our bodies are unique, and so is what’s normal for our breasts. It’s important for each of us to be aware of how our breasts normally look and feel and take action if something seems off. By seeing a doctor if we ever notice a change in our breasts, we can take charge of our breast health.
- Get Screened for Breast Cancer: Here’s one thing we know about breast cancer: The earlier you find it and get effective treatment, the more likely you are to survive. Screening tests are the only way to find breast cancer even before it causes early signs or symptoms. The best way to figure out when and how often to get screened is to talk to a doctor about your personal risk factors.
- Make Lifestyle Choice to Reduce Your Breast Cancer Risk: There are so many reasons to make your health a priority. You’ll feel better. You’ll be better able to take care of all the things–and people–that need your attention. And you’ll decrease your risk of different types of cancer and other health conditions. When it comes to breast cancer specifically, there are a few things everyone can do to reduce their risk.
- Be Your Own Advocate: There are so many things in this life we can’t control. We owe it to ourselves, and the people who love us, to take charge of the things we can.
HOW YOU CAN JOIN THE CIRLCE
Join us: register today at www.californiacircleofpromise.org and make your promise to take care of yourself first and then become an ambassador to your community! We’ll provide you with all of the resources and tools you need to make changes in your own life and to share lifesaving messages with others. Be sure Like us on Facebook and Follow us on Twitter!
Spread the word: invite your girlfriends, mothers, sisters, daughters and co-workers to join the Circle of Promise. Tell them you want them to join you in the fight against breast cancer’s attack on the African American community before it’s too late.
Be active in your commitment: continue to fight with us by supporting public policy efforts, helping us to raise funds for research, and by making sure that the Circle of Promise is alive in your community!
If you have questions about available services please contact us at 951-676-7465
Support for the Susan G. Komen® Circle of Promise California InitiativeTM is made possible in part by a grant from the Anthem Blue Cross Foundation, LLC.